Origins back to the year 1284
Combloux first appeared on a parchment paper in 1284 with a wax stamp representing a wolf head. The etymology is said to come from CUMBA LUPIS, « la combe aux loups » or the valley of wolves.
A few milestones
Located on an ancient Roman road and then on the track connecting Sallanches to Megève, the village of Combloux appears to have been inhabited since the XIIth century.
The Haute-Savoie department, which has been French since 1860 only, was part of the dynasty of the House of Savoy where succeeded Counts, Dukes and then Kings of the Piedmont-Sardinia region, the latest (Victor Emmanuel II) became the first King of Unified Italy in 1861.
The village was essentially made up of farmers until a fairly recent time. In the XVIIIth and XIXth centuries 1 000 people inhabited Combloux, they were called the "Comblorans". There were not enough agricultural resources for the entire population, thus an important migration began towards larger cities of France, in particular Paris.
As in many villages, harvests and livestock farming allowed farmers to live on their activity, the extra production was sold on the market in Sallanches.
In 1942, Combloux had 134 farms out of which 26 are still in operation today. Small herds of milk cows and sheep are raised by farmers who generally have a second job in the tourism industry: ski instructor, ski lift operator, craftsperson, carriage driver...!
Tourism began in the early century thanks to a few city-dwellers who came to Combloux to relax during the summer months. An upper-class clientele, mostly Anglo-Saxon arrived in 1912 at the « Grand Hôtel du Mont-Blanc». After the First World War, it was bought by the PLM corporation (Paris-Lyon-Méditerranée), a big transport company. This luxury residence had a golf course, an ice-rink, a tennis court...and hosted wealthy people from all over the world (ministers, artists, aristocrats, bankers, generals, industrials ...).
Winter tourism developed after Chamonix Winter Olympic Games in 1924. A few hotels and apartments were opened for guests.
In 1935, the PLM installed there one of the first ski lifts in France. The Second World War stopped the tourism expansion in Combloux. The PLM Hotel closed its doors and was sold as separate apartments in 1955. Having lost its fairy godmother, the village of Combloux took its destiny in hand.
Even though Combloux has become a winter ski resort and summer alpine resort, we must not forget that we are a year-round mountain village that has kept the customs of the past and which is looking towards the future.